1. Newdow v. Rio Linda, brilliant dissent by Reinhardt
2. Addicted to Hate, by Jon Michael Bell. The story of the Phelps family and the Westboro Baptist Church (complete book).
3. Illustrated Bible Stories
with annotation: John Haigh, The Acid Bath Murderer:
"I was nurtured on Bible stories.
John Haigh, The Acid Bath Murderer:
"I was nurtured on Bible stories.
11. The Witch Craze Timeline An example of how religion can become deadly as secular law. Disclaimer: this contribution to the liz library is provided as-is and without citations, and there are disputes among historians as to some of the facts presented.
14. Who Cooked The Last Supper?, Rosalind Miles. "When man made himself God, he made woman less than human. 'A woman is never truly her own master,' argued Luther. 'Let them bear children till they die of it,' And from Buddha, 'The body of a woman is filthy and not a vessel for the law.' "
15. The Atheism Web
19. Women, Church and State, Matilda Joslyn Gage "A historical account of the status of women... dedicated to all Christian women and men, of whatever creed or name who, bound by church or state, have not dared to think for themselves... "
20. The World of Richard Dawkins TED lectures
23. The Eve of destruction, Karen Armstrong, January 15, 2004
24. Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind, Julian Jaynes "a learned process brought out of earlier hallucinatory mentality by cataclysm and catastrophe 3000 years ago"
25. Study: Religiosity and societal dysfunction, September 2005
27. Evolution and Religion, Robin Marantz Henig, NYTimes
29. Newsclipping February 13, 2008 Saudis to Execute a Woman for Witchcraft
30. Newsclipping April 24, 2008 Congo police arrest penis snatchers (witches)
31. Why Women Are Bound to Religion: An Evolutionary Perspective, by R. Elisabeth Cornwell, Ph.D.
32. Helen Alvare article Distorting reality and capitalizing on trendy fatherhood exaltation politics to promote Church doctrine
35. Why the WIcked Witch Isn't Dead, Slate article April 20, 2009, by Johann Hari
36. Newsclipping May 21, 2009 Child witches in the name of Jesus
39. Newsclipping August 26, 2010 Children abused, killed as witches in Nigeria
41. Newsclippings December 14 and 17, 2012 Witch mother loses child custody in Kuwait, Witch killed by spirits in Saudi Arabia
42. Newsclipping July 4, 2012 Childbirth Victims Shunned as Witches in Cameroon
43. Newsclipping February 7, 2013 Accused 'Witch' Kepari Leniata Burned Alive By Mob In Papua New Guinea
"There are ethical implications to believing that human beings are the only species made in God's image and vouchsafed with "immortal souls." History shows us that concern about souls is a very poor guide to ethical behavior... indifference to the suffering of animals believed not to possess souls but which can clearly suffer in ways that three-day old human embryos cannot... one of the many delusional products of religion... [Religion needlessly complicates ethical questions that are] genuinely straightforward." -- Sam Harris, The Reason Project
is a religion
Any word that means different things to different people and is permitted to be defined at whim has no meaning, is not a concept, and thus describes nothing.
MAIN PAGE | COLLECTIONS
HISTORY LIBRARY | RESEARCH ROOMS
| THE READING ROOM
FATHERLESS CHILDREN STORIES | THERAPEUTIC JURISPRUDENCE | WOMAN SUFFRAGE TIMELINE | THE LIZ LIBRARY ENTRANCE
as otherwise noted, all contents in this collection are copyright 1996-2013
the liz library. All rights
This site is hosted and maintained by argate.net Send queries to: sarah-at-thelizlibrary.org